Monday, 11 November 2013

ABOUT THIS BLOG

Welcome to Starships & Strongholds!

I'm a dad with two young sons (one who's not old enough to play yet), and I've interests in sci-fi and modelling. I've also been looking for things to do with my kids for "daddy time."

So, not too long ago, I went down to the local Games Workshop store (I'd always loved looking at the models) and bought their starter set for Warhammer 40,000. I soon found out, though, about the incredible cost of GW's version of the hobby; soon after I bought the set, the 6th edition rules came out and GW began updating all the codexes in a more expensive hardback format. And, the prices of the models were rising. I figured I'd made a mistake…

…until I started looking around the Interwebs and found out that there are actually alternatives to 40K out there! Mantic's Warpath was a brand-new entry to the hobby, and as a brand-new gamer, I found their rules much easier to understand and the game much faster to play than 40K. Junior (as I shall call my older son) has played about a dozen games on the table with me--first half or so of 40K, and the rest of Warpath. We both greatly prefer the latter.

Soon I found Spartan's Firestorm Armada and, intrigued by the possibility of putting together narrative campaigns, picked up some ships and a rulebook.

This blog is intended to be a chronicle of the wars fought in our household, and of any background "fluff," painting and modelling reports, and house(hold) rules and campaigns we come up with.

Thanks for dropping by!

-- Wargamer Dad


No comments:

Post a Comment